Hands-on DevOps Training
The Benefits of DevOps
Companies that adopt advanced DevOps practices deliver more value through higher quality software solutions, and they deliver it much faster than companies using waterfall or undefined development practices. This not only results in happier customers but also creates happier IT, development, and operational teams. DevOps concepts can be applied to development and infrastructure teams at any level of maturity, but adoption requires diligence and coaching. A hands-on approach is essential to guaranteeing a successful implementation of these principles.
Aptera’s Training Practices
Modern DevOps practices seem easy to understand when presented during training sessions; however, teams are often frustrated when the reality of implementing concepts in a moving business leads to challenges.
Aptera eliminates this issue by using a four-step approach to DevOps adoption:
- Environment Overview – First, we make sure we understand the existing development environment, including the current types of development, deployment, and testing being performed. We will also evaluate the technical proficiency and experience of the team being trained.
- Conceptual Understanding – Next, we provide an overview of each concept that will be implemented, from development practices to operational standards to quality measures. From the sub-concepts in each area, we will create a menu of topics that is tailored to the specific level of each client’s process and technical staff.
- Paired Programming – Once the client’s team understands a concept, we provide hands-on instruction for implementing that concept in a realistic environment, demonstrating how to integrate it into a model of seamless interaction between development, deployment, and testing .
- Post Assessment – To ensure the successful adoption of the concept, Aptera will return to answer additional questions, assess the level of adoption, and provide recommendations for increasing effectiveness of the practice.
Aptera's DevOps Experience
The Aptera team has a deep understanding of DevOps and experience in successfully transitioning development teams to this model. We have helped hundreds of companies deliver enterprise level software, web, and mobile applications and solutions. In addition, members of our team are recognized members of the development community, regularly participating in training and panel events. Beyond our experience and knowledge of the concepts, the Aptera team also excels at creating an open, enjoyable, and stimulating learning environment with emphasis on discussion and hands-on learning principles.
If you are planning to implement DevOps in your organization, Aptera can begin with an assessment to review your entire ALM (Application Lifecycle Management) practice or provide training for a specific DevOps topic area.
- DevOps Readiness Assessment – This is a comprehensive review of your current process for delivering software. It covers the entire development process, including how requirements are gathered and documented, project management, development, and quality assurance. The deliverable provided from this engagement includes a gap analysis and a roadmap for adopting or improving DevOps concepts.
- DevOps Training – Using the four-step approach outlined above, Aptera provides training to companies that seek to implement specific DevOps concepts. These include:
- Documenting User Requirements- This engagement teaches Business Analysts and other members of technical teams how to effectively capture and document user requirements with clear acceptance criteria.
- Test Driven Development - This engagement teaches software developers how to develop projects using Test Driven Development to improve quality and reduce regression bugs.
- Agile Basic - Helps companies implement the basic framework of SCRUM, Kanban and Extreme programming. This engagement helps the company determine the correct framework and plan its implementation.
- Agile Advanced - For companies that have implemented Agile, this engagement helps address issues commonly encountered by companies after initial adoption. These include timeline management, QA integration, and increased overhead.
- Automated Testing - This engagement teaches teams how automated testing can be used by business stakeholders and developers to ensure business facing features are functioning properly.
- Automated Deployment - This engagement helps teams understand how to stand up infrastructure and continuously deploy to that infrastructure to avoid error-prone deployments at the end of long development cycles.
- Software Security - This engagement helps teams develop a formal set of security standards for the development of software. It also assists in integrating these standards into your application lifecycle management practices.
- Managing Source Code – This engagement teaches teams how to manage source code to allow for continuous integration and the ability to measure code quality.